FreeStyle

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Eight

Julia Hill
    Julia Hill

Location | Ligging : All Around The World
    Posts | Bydraes : 151
    Points | Punte : 259
    Join date | Datum aangesluit : 2011-08-28
    Age | Ouderdom : 53

The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Eight Empty The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Eight

Post by Julia Hill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm

My true love gave to me ...
    8 maids a milking,
    7 swans a swimming,
    6 geese a laying,
    5 Gold Rings ......
    4 calling birds,
    3 French hens,
    2 turtle doves,
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Its very nice here at the farm, there is quite a serene atmosphere, helped a lot by the three bottles of Southern Comfort that were smuggled in – and thank heavens because this morning 8 maids arrived with 8 cows and joined in with the general mayhem being caused by all those silly birds .... on the upside however I have a great cheats recipe for a quick and easy Milk Tart which I think will come quite in handy as I seem to have a lot of Doctors taking a lot of interest in my case – but what did they think would happen to a women when given all these odd and frankly quite inappropriate gifts ....

Quick Press Pastry Recipe – so called because you simply press it into your dish to make the base
    1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt

Beat the eggs, butter & sugar together
    Sift together dry ingredients
    Mix the two mixtures together well
    Flour your hands and then press pastry into the container until evenly spread
    Bake at 180C until light brown – about 15 minutes

Milk tart filling:
    500ml milk
    (or 450 mls milk & 50mls brandy if you are not being harassed by birds and cows and can spare it)
    25ml margarine
    10ml vanilla essence
    75ml cornstarch (heaped)
    2ml salt
    50ml sugar
    6 eggs (separated)

Bring milk and margarine to boiling point
    Mix cornstarch, salt, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla with a little milk and mix until smooth
    Beat the egg whites until very stiff, set aside
    Stir cornstarch mix into boiling milk and allow to boil until thickened
    Remove from heat and fold in egg whites
    When the filling is cool it can be piped or piled into the tart case and sprinkled with cinnamon or nutmeg to decorate.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 4:08 am